Tuesday 30 October 2012

Suikaaaa Ppppunch!!



I was back in my home town for a long weekend, and while there, I made a visit to the weekly night market. As I walked through the stalls, I noticed that one fruit stall was different from the rest; this one had a very special watermelon for sale, something I had always wanted to grow for myself - the Black Beauty. Unable to resist her tender beckoning, I brought her home with me.

The moment I had set eyes on her, I already knew what I wanted to do with her. Melaka is infamous for its swearing afternoons, and that day was no different. A nice cold refreshing drink would work really well, so I bought a bunch of mint as well.

As soon as I got home, half the watermelon was balled and chucked into the freezer, while the other half sat quietly in the fridge to chill. Later on, into the blender it all went, with a handful of mint leaves and half a lemon's worth of juice. Top with a mint sprig for garnish if you like, which I did. Refreshing, not overwhelmingly sweet having being balanced by the lemon, as well as a bright aroma to it thanks to the sharp scent of mint. The perfect thirst quencher.

Growing up in Melaka as a child, I had a steady diet of Kamen Rider and Power Rangers. Every time they were about to defeat a monster, they had to yell out the name of their devastating attack as they went in for the kill. It was always 'xyz punch!' or 'qrst kick!' or 'tuvw blast!' This drink, being a punch... well... you get the pun. haha. Then keeping in spirit with the Japanese theme, suika is Japanese for watermelon. I call this drink the Suikaaaa Ppppunch!!

Also, if you're in to alcoholic drinks, vodka will go very well with this. I'm no drinker, but I'm thinking a shot or two would do.

2 comments:

  1. By adding some sweet rum and black pepper, u can make chilled watermelon soup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo. That's a first. Never heard of it. I'll give it a try once my Black Beauty goes into bloom. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete