Friday 2 November 2012

Classic Cornbread


After watching an episode of Anthony Boudain in New Orleans, I thought I'd give cornbread a try. A quick check on good ole Google turned up this recipe:
A
375g Flour
225g Cornmeal
1tsp Salt
4tsp Baking powder
110g Sugar
480ml Milk
2 Eggs
110g Butter, melted
B
1 small tin of sweetcorn kernels

Heat your oven to 200°c, then mix A together till you get a sponge cake mix consistency, adding B in at the end to avoid smashing the kernels. Oil your baking trays, and chuck them into the oven for about 20mins till golden on the outside and cooked, obviously, on the inside.

I have to say, the sweet aroma of sweetcorn in the oven is to die for. Wafting through the kitchen, coyly caressing my senses...Mmmhmmm... The sight of such glorious golden brown is a feast for the eyes, before it even feeds the stomach. In this recipe, I had also replaced milk with soy milk, which I'm now wondering if I should have done, since there was a subtle, but strong enough fragrant soy undertone clashing with the flavours of the corn. Perhaps it would be quite different if I had used milk instead. There was also a gritty texture to the bread, which I'm also unsure of - is it due to an error of my preparation of the cornmeal (should I have soaked it first?), or its that supposed to be normal? I guess I'll never know until I go visit New Orleans to find out.

For those of you wanting to know where I got cornmeal from, this is a picture of the meal I used. I bought it at Mercato, though I'm quite sure you can find cheaper ones at your local (Malaysian) Indian mill. Otherwise, just dry your own corn and send it to the mill.


Note [2 Nov 2012]: I've been told by a chef colleague of mine that I've stirred the mixture too much, allowing the gluten to bond too much, resulting in a chewy bread-like consistency. The correct consistency should be light and fluffy like a cupcake.

2 comments:

  1. gritty texture eh?
    i thought cornmeal, i mean bread should feel like cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the gritty texture is unique to cornmeal... not sure though.This bread is actually more of a cake than bread, since yeast isn't used.

    ReplyDelete